Friday, April 24, 2009

'90's Alternative Rockness Monster

There are certain songs that make me feel fuzzy. In this post, I shall speak of those songs which are '90's alternative (mostly). I guess it's because that was my "growing up" time when I just started getting into music and it felt good to turn on the radio that I have such an affinity for these songs. I was even able to sit through those annoying car commercials. BLOW OUT SALE! YOUR HOME HOME HOME OF THE $1 INSTALLATION! THIS WEEKEND ONLY! BLAHHHHHHH! Obviously my tolerance has waned. I am a compulsive station changer.
Most of these songs make me feel the same feeling, which I can't quite put my finger on but to say "longing", "wholesome", "sincere", "comfortable." What is this feeling I'm feeling? Here is my mini list:

Blind Melon-Soup
The Verve Pipe-The Freshman
Gin Blossoms-Hey Jealousy
The Shins-New Slang
Dave Matthews-Crash
Fuel-Sunburn
Matchbox 20-Push
Goo Goo Dolls-Slide
Oasis-Wonderwall
Toad the Wet Sprocket-Something's Always Wrong
Coldplay-Scientist
Foo Fighters-My Hero

I know they're not particularly unique, I'll even admit some might be a tad played out. I'm not the type to get crazy into knowing all kinds of teensy band names and songs like Stinky Monkey Ball or Squeak Beak and the Dingo Punchers. (If you have a band, please name your songs these names. That'd be awesome.) When I hear something I like, I like it. These are kind of reflective of the beginning of my love of music. They have a little room in my heart, third door on the left. Feel free to drop by some time, I'll leave the light on for ya.

2 comments:

  1. Semisonic "Closing Time"...What I usually call these songs is basically memories of all the good innocent times. When life was easy and fun

    ReplyDelete