Monday, May 17, 2010

The Importance of Trust

How important is trust in a doctor patient relationship? I'm not talking about the kind of trust that the doctor will perform the job to the best of their ability, but rather the motivation behind their practices as a doctor and the ethical vs financial aspects of care. There are some doctors that clearly have a pull toward their career because they want to help people. Others are money motivated or status motivated. Maybe some have had doctors in the family and that was just what was expected of them. To me personally, it seems like something that matters.
I bring this up because my colonoscopy is scheduled for this Friday. I've been on Sulfasalazine for over a month and I've been doing great. I almost feel like a normal human being a good chunk of the time. Therefore I'm not sure I understand the reasons behind my upcoming procedure. My doctor said he'd like to do the scope because he wanted to find out if the UC had spread further. But to what end? Even if it has claimed new territory in the colon, I'm doing much better on the medication I'm currently taking and I really don't want to change anything. Some people would just let sleeping dogs lie and if/when the symptoms got worse, action would be taken.
Is it normal for doctors to just scope to their heart's content? It's not going to be cheap, despite my health insurance I'm paying a pretty sizable chunk out-of-pocket. My first and only colonoscopy was done in 2006 (ish?) and I stopped seeing a GI and tried to handle it on my own. How often should one have a colonscopy done? What usually triggers one in the first place, if a doctor already knows your disease? Should I get a second opinion? How important do you think it is to trust that your doctor is listening and trying to work with you on your journey? Anyone that has an opinion or past experience, I would love to hear your take on this.

2 comments:

  1. Hi ya...I think we're supposed to get scoped once a year, though in saying that I didn't get one done last year...so not until I get home next year..so that is 3 years in between. They just want to make sure there is no cancer as we're 1st class candidates for that now unfortunately. The problem with GI's is that they all want to have a little look themselves to see what is going on..and the problem I have is that I don't like having a colonoscopy.

    I also believe you need to have a good GI that you can trust..I have one back home, but not here...hence why I don't want to go back to him...I told him something didn't work and he said of course it does....DOOHHH!!! Obviously not enough experience with UC even though he claimed he did...and he's well into his 50's...supposedly an expect here...can you tell I'm still mad at him? :D

    Good to hear the new neds are working out too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now you are talking my language WW. I have gone the full circle with doctors in the UK. I used to be (like most people I think) a person who assumed that what the doc was said was 'right' and I would follow any instructions. Now I am at the point where I question pretty much everything they say to me, regularly argue, regularly refuse to follow the prescribed course of action, and doubt the validity of their suggestions. Of course over here health care is 'free', but there is enough input by drugs companies to keep a cynical mind healthy. Not that this has been particularly helpful to me - my consultant very rarely sees me himself any more, but I am a happier guy who feels much more in control of both the UC and my health.

    Glad to hear the meds are working though.

    ReplyDelete