Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Alphabet Soup Club

I find that it's very easy to get stuck in life-ruts. When one has a regular routine it simplifies life. You don't have to fight against the current; you are simply riding the tide. I have found myself in a cozy little life nook as of late. I've been working full time and taking night classes and when one is so busy it's "difficult" and "disruptive" to leave the cozy life nook. I was listening to an NPR interview a few months ago about the perception of time as we age. The purpose of the interview was to explore the reason time seems to go by faster as we get older. One thing they pointed out was that everything is a whole new experience for children, they take more detailed information in. As adults, since we've already seen so much, we tend to subtract out the details and look at the whole picture rather than all the tiny elements that make up the whole. The human mind is fascinating in that way, but in a sense I feel like I'm being cheated out of something. That's why it's so important to keep your neurons stirring, adding new elements to the stew so you can pounce on the tiniest details and save them all up to keep the mind fresh and excited, constantly experiencing entirely new environments and people and ideas.
This makes me think of those people that push the belief that "you should live every day like it's your last." While this is not practical for the structure of society that we have built for ourselves, there is some wisdom in the concept that I can appreciate. It's up to each individual to go out and grab the bull by the horns and shake things up, even if it's just in a small way. Small things build memories and make experiences thick and husky and significant.
In the spirit of new experiences, my comrades at work and I began a weekly lunch outing we affectionately named The Alphabet Soup Club. Once a week we go to a new restaurant starting with the next letter of the alphabet, A to Z. Without realizing it, I have been taking in loads of tiny details from each new place, storing it and analyzing it and considering whether I'd like to repeat the experience and return to the restaurant. I know this is a very small event, but I find that it has been really valuable for me.
It's important to always be conscious of the way we are living. If one starts to stagnate or get bored with the way things are, it is up to the individual to make a conscious effort to shake things up. When we wait for change, our life is in the hands of fate. When we make changes, even if things don't turn out the way we plan, we hold the power.

1 comment:

  1. That is an incredible idea, and a great name to go with it!

    And not to sound naggy, but I always adore your writing, it should definitely be part of that cozy life nook of yours ;)

    ReplyDelete