Friday, July 6, 2012

The Death Penalty

I tend to be very liberal about most social topics, but when it comes to the death penalty I don't mince words. I am a strong supporter of the death penalty when a crime is especially heinous. I've heard some recent interviews on the BBC regarding a new wave of Americans opposing the death penalty, and I truly can't wrap my head around it. We spend about $22,000.00 per year to house ONE prison inmate and it takes years to carry out the death sentence. I don't think they should be killing everyone who commits a murder, but certain depraved criminals are a drain on tax dollars and, frankly, a waste of air.
A couple of weeks ago, on 6/27/12, an Arizona inmate was put to death. Here is a description of his crime: "On October 29, 1986, Lopez broke into the apartment of 59-year-old Estafana Holmes. Lopez raped, beat, and stabbed Ms. Holmes. Her body was found nude from the waist down, with her pajama bottoms tied around her eyes. A lace scarf was crammed tightly into her mouth. She had been stabbed 23 times in the left breast and upper chest, three times in her lower abdomen, and her throat was cut. Lopez' body fluids matched seminal fluids found in Ms. Holmes' body." In my opinion, that person does not deserve to be alive. I can't understand why people advocate to abolish this form of punishment. I read about an artist who draws pictures of their last meals in order to protest. I wonder if that artist's opinion would change if they instead drew pictures of the crime scene. I don't mean to be so aggressive, but reading about that particular crime really set my blood to boiling.
I know there are some good rebuttals about why not to implement the death penalty. The most compelling of which are those folks who end up being proven innocent after years and even decades in prison. I think that our system is getting much more fine tuned due to DNA evidence and hope that the false conviction of innocent people is a thing of the past. Sadly, there's no way to be 100% certain. Jurors do their very best, but human error is unavoidable. What do you think of the death penalty? Feel free to disagree with me; I respect that everyone has a right to their own beliefs and will certainly respect yours. If you're interested in looking up further info on Arizona's executed inmates, here is the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment