Monday, December 16, 2013

Color Me Rad 5k

I completed my first 5k on 11/09/13 (which is 3.1 mile run, for my fellow 'Mericans). I would've told you sooner, but I'm a lazy bum and it's easier to passively observe prefabricated empty media than march into my mind and mine for organic nuggets of creativity therein. It took me over a month, but here I am, mind mining.

The run was called Color Me Rad, and a (probably miniscule) portion of the proceeds went to breast cancer research; the other portion went into the pockets of the folks who put on the run. No bigs though, since the company I work for does a similar thing for charities and I'd be a super hypocrite to harp on Color Me Rad when my paycheck comes from the same thing. I digress.

Since I am a major couch potato and often go from my quiet cubicle at work to the isolation of Couch Island when I get home, my feller and I trained for it using the Couch to 5k program. It was kind of amazing to go from being red-faced, head pounding, sweaty and heaving on the first run to 9 weeks later running 30 minutes straight with more ease than run number one. The engineering of the human body is masterful. We started our training in August, which is often over 100 degrees Fahrenheit around these parts on any given day. We figured as the runs got longer, the weather would be improving. It was a wise and kind of ballsy strategy, but I'm glad we did it that way. It helped to have Rich running with me - the evenings I didn't want to run, he pushed me to get out the door, and vice versa. The other thing I couldn't have gone without is the watch I bought to time the run. It was hard for my miserly self to part with $45 for a watch, but I used it on every single run once I got it, so I'm glad I parted with the dough.

This particular run had 'color stations' set up about every mile where CMR workers grabbed handfuls of 'color bombs' and threw them at passersby to liven things up. The color bombs were made out of colorful corn starch (i.e. purple, pink, orange, green), and the color stations were pretty dusty. There were also folks holding color hoses, and they would spray us with what looked like a water hose, but shot out colorful liquid that stayed on better than the color bombs.

Surprisingly, more than half of the people in the run were walking the course rather than running. I was pretty proud of my little group for running all the way through. Some people were wearing funsy stuff like tutus or Twister costumes or colorful wigs, but we just kept it simple and wore the shirts they gave us for the race.

I'm really happy that I stuck with it and followed through, since my typical course of action is avoidance and non-commitment. Here's a pic of me on race day, and I actually look like I'm enjoying myself! Physical activity is unexpectedly stress-relieving once the body is conditioned properly.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thrilled you did this! And the photo is fantastic! Thanks for sharing the Couch to 5k link too!

    ReplyDelete